The Boeing 747-400 is a widebody commercial airliner, and is the second-most recent version of the Boeing 747 aircraft. The -400 series is the best selling model in the 747 family.The 747-400 is to be superseded by the Boeing 747-8 as the latest commercial model, which is scheduled to begin deliveries in 2010. The last 747-400 was delivered in December 2009.
The 747-400 was announced by Boeing Commercial Airplanes in October 1985. Compared to the 747-300 the 747-400 has 6 feet (1.8 m) wing tip extensions, 6 feet (1.8 m) winglets, and a glass cockpit, which dispensed with the need for a flight engineer. The 747-400 also improved on the -300 with an additional fuel tank in the horizontal stabilizer, engines with improved fuel efficiency and higher thrust, an all-new interior, revised fuselage/wing fairings and newer in-flight entertainment. Like the 747-300, the passenger version of the 747-400 has the stretched upper deck (SUD) as a standard feature. The SUD is almost twice as long as the original 747 upper deck. The SUD was previously offered as a retrofit and first appeared on two Japanese 747-100 SR models. While the wingspan was increased, the overall weight of the wings was decreased due to the use of composites and aluminum alloys.
The first 747-400 was rolled out in January 1988 and flew for the first time on 29 April 1988. Certification was received on 10 January 1989 with Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines, 18 May 1989 with General Electric CF6-80C2s and 8 June 1989 with Rolls-Royce RB211-524Gs. The first 747-400 was delivered to Northwest Airlines on 26 January 1989, with service entry on 9 February.
brings you the 747-400X
for Microsoft Flight Simulator X!
Fly your favorite heavy airliner on the new Flight Sim Platform -
the PMDG 747-400 / 747-400F
Version X for FSX!
Version 2.10 Released May 21, 2008
Minimum - 3GHz or multi-core processor, 1GB RAM, WinXP SP2/Vista/W7
Best Performance - Dual or Quad Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 1024MB Gfx Card MS FSX with Service Pack 1 (or later) installed
- 3D Studio Max 747-400 & 747-400F Models - Accurately modeled down to the smallest detail complete with high resolution textures and three different engine variants
- Airplane Animations - Hundreds of animated parts on the exterior model bring the 747-400 to life, with realistic gear, flap and slat movement, all passenger and cargo doors operable (with corresponding indications in the cockpit) and all control surfaces moving like their real-world counterparts
- New FSX Features - the exterior model features new lighting, shine and bump map technology, as well as smooth non-segmented wing flex created with vertex animation as well as visual fuel dump and engine fire effects
- Dynamic Virtual Cockpit - Accurate within inches of the real flight deck, complete with photo-real textures, animated switches and knobs and beautiful night lighting
- Virtual Cabin - In addition to the virtual cockpit, a section of the passenger cabin is represented for a virtual visit
- Panel Perspectives - You can now start flying the 747 from the First Officer's perspective and work your way up to the familiar Captain's perspective; the main panel perspectives provide large display space to provide clear views of the primary CRT or optional LCD displays with all necessary information for flight
- Complete Avionics - Sharp vector graphic cockpit displays matching their real world counterparts, all EICAS functions and lower displays working interactively with the aircraft's systems, and also displaying three engine variants (RR, GE, PW)
- Aircraft / Cockpit Systems - Functionality at the highest accuracy, programmed after engineering schematics to ensure everything behaves like on the real plane; 747-400F specific pneumatics systems are correctly modeled and the stabilizer tanks have been remove
- Failures Module - Set failures at random intervals or target specific systems with variable and progressive damage factors
- Sound Set - Recorded from the real flight deck, the sounds are complete from the three different variants of powerful jet engines to the fire warning bells
- Operating Manual - 350+ pages including operating procedures, limitations and more
- Free Add-on Liveries - Dozens of colorful airline liveries will be made available for download upon product release
- Flight Performance Model - Developed from scratch by our own aeronautics professional, the flight characteristics operate within a narrow margin of operator's specifications
- Customizable Options - Change units, flight director styles, IRS alignment times, engine variants and more
- Professional Features - Complete IRS system, Autopilot includes VNAV, LNAV, FL CHG and is capable of performing full autoland in the strongest of crosswinds
- New Night Lighting Technique - At night, this airliner cockpit will illuminate in all its glory, with three different intensities and complete standardization between the virtual cockpit and 2D panel night appearance
- Panel State Loading - From cold and dark to cruising level, the airplane can be loaded to be configured in different setups
- Flight Management Computer (FMC) - Interactive FMC operating to real world standards with highly accurate fuel/distance/time predictions - Functionality includes: SID/STAR Procedures / Two Independent FMCs Operative / IRS Position Interaction / Accurate Cost Index Functionality
- Some Aircraft Systems - Custom Engine Model Auto-Start (auto-relight) and Windmill Modeled, Engine Flame-Outs at V speeds possible, Fuel Management System with Accurate Cross-feed and Balancing, Variable Damage Factors for Systems and Engines, Excessive Braking will cause Brake Pad Overheat
- Some Autopilot Features - Certification standard model of sideslip control during final stage of approach and runway centerline tracking on the ground (rollout) during fully automatic CATII/III type approach, Custom designed parameters for most realistic behavior, LNAV/VNAV accurately modeled